Tuesday, December 3, 2013

My (New but Old) Touring Bike


My Touring Bike


1992 Bridgestone MB4


This is my touring (sometimes commuting) bike. I got it from a friend who felt that it was too big for him. I got it all stocks (Shimano, Dia Compe, Sugino, Ritchey) except for the tires. Although the condition is far from mint and there's significant wear on the frame, the components are all working perfectly. The grouppos are 7 speed Shimano LX (I switched the Dia Compe cantis with Shimano LX one), Sugino GP (46T-24T) crankset (originally) that I switched (temporarily) with Exage LX-400 (48T-26T).

I had a touring bike before, it's a converted mountain bike, an old Specialized RockHopper. I've kitted it out with dropbar (Nitto Randonneur), Shimano bar end shifter and Paselas. Also with Shimano LX dynamo hub and Busch & Muller lights. Though it's a nice bike, but deeply down inside I want a touring bike with more traditional/conventional look, that is a bike with level top tube, diamond frame, not a sloping one. And the lower bottom bracket height on this new bike is a bonus.

As my daughter growing up, she needs a bike that more fit and suitable. So I passed it to her, with some components changes to fit her of course. Glad she loves it, she's a very happy girl.

With the touring kits took out from my old bike, I build and convert this Bridgestone MB4 to be my next touring bike. At first I used my Randonneur drop bar, but now it sporting a trekking bar with M900-ST shifter/brake lever. But I think I want to put on my Randonneur drop bar back again, because I love the position and the feel much better.

The front rack is an Old Man Mountain Ultimate Low Rider. It can be used for bike with disc brake and fork without mid eyelets, as long as it has canti's post. It has two positions for front pannier, higher and lower. The rear rack is Topeak Super Tourist DX. It's also has two panniers positions and compatible for bike with disc brake too.

The fenders are Planet Bike's, and I can't ride without them, it's a must accessories in wet season. For a little security I added Abus Frame Lock with cable accessories too. Busch & Muller front and rear lights are really handy whenever I go nite ride or commuting late, and they don't even need battery. I also added few more accessories to make my riding more comfortable, safer and enjoyable.

At a glance, it looks just like Surly bike that I always want but just can't justified for the price. So I guess I call it a poor man's Surly Long Haul Trucker (I wish, ha ha!). I hope that I can enjoy many more miles with this bike, doing what i love to do: Ride.

For them who need advice on bulding touring bike without breaking the bank, just look for an old mountain bike (early '90 ish). Look for the one that has eyelets for racks, long (relatively) chainstay and relax geometry. It's out there somewhere.

P.S. I named her 'Lovely Rita' after my favorite band's song.



No comments:

Post a Comment